Friday, October 14, 2011

Fiber Friday: Projects

A while back i attempted to create some evenly striped yarn which turned out not even at all.

I loved it. This pattern is now my new thing: sometimes the colors are plied together, sometimes they're 'barber poled' and sometimes they're transitioning. It looks awesome. I'm going with it.  I spun another skein of some grey/lavender fiber and am working on more combinations in different types of wool. It looks beautiful in a skein, but i've just started my first hat to see if it looks as cool crocheted into something as it does curled up by itself.

Skein before washing

I learned 2 new crochet stitches last weekend: front post double crochet (fpdc) and back post double crochet (bpdc) which i'll be adding to my normal basic hat "pattern" to create (i hope) some textured stripes around the bottom like an old school ski hat.

Same skein after washing: see how bouncy and smooth it got?

Check back next friday to see the finished hat. I hope it looks nice, and i hope i have enough yarn! I have a hard time telling exactly how much yardage i have (my count is mostly an estimate), but mostly i don't really know how many yards my average hats require. All part of the learning process!

What's your favorite hat pattern like? Do you follow a written pattern, or just crochet in the round until it resembles a head covering?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your feedback, especially if you've cooked one of my recipes or tried one of my tips: let me know how it turned out!