Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Her Recipe, My Kitchen

Thanks again to Susy at Chiot's Run to be a constant inspiration and source for delicious recipes! I made her 'all purpose roll dough' this sunday for some delicious 'cowboy' hamburgers: so delicious i ate two! This is very unlike me as i never EVER eat beef - but when you stuff homegrown jalapenos, garlic and onions, plenty of seasoning and little chunks of cheddar cheese into little patties of beef.... you have to eat them. Add some uncured bacon and garden fresh lettuce, and you have to eat two.

This roll recipe was super easy. I used my M.I.L.'s hand me down mixer with great delight, only needing to knead for a few more minutes. I almost had to have a crying fit as i left the rolls to perform their second rising on the front porch only to (thankfully) catch a glimpse of yellow tail feathers darting past my window: the across the street's stupid (and oft tied up illegally) golden retreiver was making her way with my rolls! Thank goodness i spotted her before any real damage was done - just some stunting of rising progress to two of the rolls. Phew!

I just realized that i took zero photos of my delicious rolls or burgers.... so you'll just have to visit Susy's page to drool over hers.
  • 1 cup milk or buttermilk 
  • 1/3 cup butter 
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 beaten eggs
  • 4 1/4 -4 43/4 cups of flour - I only got about 3.5-4 cups of flour in there, and used a bit more than 1/4 cup of whole wheat in the mix
  • 1 packet of yeast  (2 1/4 tsp)
Combine the flour and yeast in the bowl of a mixer and gently mix together. Meanwhile heat the butter, milk, salt and sugar in a saucepan until butter just starts to melt. Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture and mix until combined. Mix on a high speed for 3 minutes. Slowly add as much flour as will be absorbed into the mix. Dough should be soft and sticky, but not so soft and sticky that you can't knead it. Knead for a few minutes, adding flour if necessary. Form into a ball and place in greased bowl to rise for 1 hour. When dough has doubled roll out onto the counter and cut into equal sized sections to meet your needs. Form roll balls and place on a cookie sheet or other pan to rise again for 45 minutes to an hour. Do not let the neighbor's dog eat them: she will get sick and you'll be pissed off.
Bake at 375 for 12-15 minutes depending on the size of your roll. Golden brown on the top does it!


I sent the leftovers to work with the hubs, but saved one for me. I feel a delicious breakfast egg and cheese sandwich in my future!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your feedback, especially if you've cooked one of my recipes or tried one of my tips: let me know how it turned out!