Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Toasted Pumpkin Seeds

Well the whole baked pumpkin may have been a bit of a bust (though i still plan on making yellow curry with it tonight) but at least I got some yummy pumpkin seeds out of it. It's cool because the seeds are already cooked inside the shell - will be interesting to see if they come out tasting different or having a significantly different texture.


 
Normally my pumpkin seeds are quite crisp and flavorful, best eaten warm.   In the past I've burnt batches by heating them too hot or too long. The last time i made them i referred to this recipe for guidance. The seeds turned out PERFECTLY.  I season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, cayenne powder, and my homemade seasoning salt.

Today I'll do the same, but with the roasted seeds. Coat seeds in light oil, seasonings of choice, and heat oven to 300. Place seeds in the baking pan in the oven, stirring occasionally for about 30 minutes.


***Whilst toasting these already roasted seeds i discovered two things: either the temp should be cooler or cooking time shorter. I fiddled with both, but think i would suggest 300 for only 15 minutes, stirring often. Mine got ALMOST too burnt - but just saved them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your feedback, especially if you've cooked one of my recipes or tried one of my tips: let me know how it turned out!