Monday, October 31, 2011

Delicious Delicata & Leek Soup

It is definitely winter squash season and my favorite this year is Delicata. The flavor is a bit like butternut, but even better. It's hard to describe, but i'm in love. Gathering Together Farm in Philomath, OR touts some of the yummiest Delicata around, and i've stocked my cupboards full!  I'll can a batch in the next week or so, but in the meantime i've been sauteeing, baking and souping up a storm.


This soup is uber easy: just boil a cleaned and chopped leek, a halved and seeded delicata cut into chunks, some herbs and spices to your preference (i used sage, turmeric, cayenne, salt/pepper and garlic) and cook until soft. Once soft, just pulse with an immersion blender until the soup is smooth. You could add milk or cream just before serving for an extra decadent soup, or leave it as is.

This soup is also lovely cold or re-heated as leftovers. Try leaving any!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your feedback, especially if you've cooked one of my recipes or tried one of my tips: let me know how it turned out!