Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Close Call

Phew, that was a close one. I woke up yesterday feeling very not myself. Achey, sore, lethargic, nauseous and downright just gross feeling. I was worried i might be getting sick, but didn't quite remember what that feels like. I haven't been properly 'sick' since graduate school in 2005, it's been a good run. I've been 'almost sick' a few times - feeling that touch of 'ew' and loading myself up with garlic, onions, white tea and echinacea just in time to beat it, but haven't succumbed. I feared the worse yesterday, but health has prevailed!

It's amazing how a few days away from nourishing, homegrown/locally grown 'real food' can help to beat down the immune system. It amazes me that there are people out there that rarely eat real food and actually expect to be healthy. Taking multi-vitamins is a decent substitute when you can't get real food, but a pale, pale comparison to the natural team work of whole foods and their corresponding vitamins and minerals that work together.

Pocket and I spent a lot of the day yesterday curled up in nap position.

How did i beat it this time? I took it easy. I didn't eat all day (I can tell i'm sick when i have NO appetite, as i always have an appetite) save some orange juice (with no added sugar or preservatives) and a few bites of locally grown melon and plum. I pounded the echinacea pills (that are none too fresh and probably not overly effective) and I did take a multi- V to help compensate for the week away from homegrown food. Most importantly, i went to the local store and bought a side of locally grown chicken and began boiling it. I removed the skin and most of the fat, leaving some (i feel chicken fat has some benefits) and boiled that sucker with some local, organic shallots, garlic, bay leaves, a splash of white wine and enough water to cover all well. As the day went on i added more water, onions, cabbage, blue potatoes, hot peppers and finished it off with some salt. The house smelled amazing, and my spirits lifted.

Like feeding a sick dog boiled chicken and rice, my spirits rose immediately. Even after my first nibbles of chicken while the meal cooked, i felt a bit less sick. I went to bed earlyish, and slept in (woops, i'm supposed to go to work today) after some serious night sweating (T.M.I.?). My body has always been good at hitting a fever, or sweating hard to work out an illness. It came through for me again last night, and i've awoken fresh and ready for a new day. I'm almost disappointed, i kind of like curling up on the couch being doted on - but there are things to do, so i better get to doing them!

What do you do when you start feeling sick?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your feedback, especially if you've cooked one of my recipes or tried one of my tips: let me know how it turned out!