Monday, May 9, 2011

New Belgium Brewing Inspired Recipe and Review

As a Foodbuzz publisher, i was totally stoked to receive a small stipend destined to purchase beer! I used to be a total beer snob and drank it all the time, but my older body can't utilize those carbs as well as it once did so i usually stick to less fattening (yah, right) wine. I've been thoroughly enjoying the beer indulgence. I purchased three different styles from the Colorado based brewery: Somersault, Tripple and Mothership. The Summersault is the perfect Summer wheat beer, refreshing and crisp. The Tripple is full of fascinating herbal (coriander) flavors and really hits the spot along with some salty food. The Tripple is both my husband's and my favorite of the three. It's really unique and definitely worth a taste. The Mothership is my least favorite, but lent itself well to baking. I wanted to come up with a recipe entirely of my own, but could only think of beer bread or beer battered fish. I decided to combine my love of beer bread and savory muffins into these savory and super filling beer muffins.

Savory Beer Muffins
  • 2.5 Cups Flour
  • .5 Cup Cornmeal
  • 1 T Sugar
  • 1T Baking Powder
  • 1 t Salt
  • 12 Ounces beer
  • 1 Cup shredded cheese
  • 2 Cloves garlic, diced
  • Pinch garlic chives, diced
  • 4 Serrano peppers, diced (or less if you can't take the heat)
  • ~2 T Herbs/seasoning of your choice. I used dried mustard, cumin, onion powder, thyme, and smoked paprika

Sift the dry ingredients, add everything else save the beer and mix well. Pour in the beer (it'll bubble like crazy!) and mix in until just combined. Fill muffin tins half way and bake at 375 for 10-15 minutes. Cool in the pans for about 5 minutes then turn out onto a rack or towel. We scarfed one warm right out of the oven: so good. They were as good the next day as cheese sandwiches and were the perfect accompaniment to our 'Italian Chilly" that I made last night (recipe coming later this week!).  This suckers are uber filling and not really very healthy at all. But hey, it's beer! Embrace it!


What's your favorite recipe utilizing beer?

This post is part of the Homestead Revival Barn Hop.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your feedback, especially if you've cooked one of my recipes or tried one of my tips: let me know how it turned out!