Thursday, April 7, 2011

Saturday Morning Goat Time

Some people may not be attracted to the idea of waking up at 6:30 am on a Saturday morning.
I can't say that i was overly thrilled about it either. haha.

That being said, it was lovely to wake before my hens for once, and even lovelier to get to hang out in the flesh with Heidi of Yellow Door Barn, and her super adorable baby goats!

Insert captions under most of these photos: baby goats are hard to photograph without blur!

Together with a few other local goat-interested volunteers, I learned from Heidi the basics of milking, bottle feeding and straining the milk, plus clean up procedures. It takes a while to milk a goat, let me tell you! But i was very proud to get some milk out on my first try, and really enjoyed the experience of resting against a warm goat while relieving her udders. I definitely think two or three goats (one is probably better for our first year!) needing milking in the same season is all we can handle, so it was a great learning experience.

Noah milking Dove
They milk twice a day and bottle feed the babies, verses the one milking a day/ take the babies away at night strategy i'd like to employ: screaming goats aren't ideal in an urban setting.
Straining the milk
And if there is ever a reason to wake up at 6 am: it's leaping, frollicking, bleating baby goats!


This post is part of the Simple Lives Thursday blog hop!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your feedback, especially if you've cooked one of my recipes or tried one of my tips: let me know how it turned out!