Thursday, February 3, 2011

Lemongrass Chicken

This isn't a recipe, per say, but a documentation of one delicious dinner i whipped up the other night using herbs from my gardens
Lemongrass Chicken:
  • Chicken Breast (could use any chicken parts, really)
  • 1-2 stalks fresh lemongrass, outer 'grassy' layers removed, chopped, pounded in mortar and pestle
  • 1-2 kaffir lime leaves, shredded
  • 3 cloves garlic, or garlic paste
  • Several hatch chilly peppers, roasted and diced
  • Bunch multiplying onion greens, or chives
  • Chicken stock
  • Sesame and coconut oils
  • Pinch coconut curry powder
  • 1/2 T Turmeric
  • Dash Cumin
Put a dollup of coconut oil and drizzle of toasted sesame oil in a pan on med/high heat. Add turmeric and curry powder, lemongrass and kaffir leaves. Sizzle for a bit then drop in chicken breasts seasoned with salt and pepper and cumin.  Let one side of chicken breast develop a nice sear, then flip and add the rest of the ingredients and cover with lid. I slathered the top of the chicken breast with garlic paste before flipping. Stir occasionally and add more chicken stock as needed. Be sure chicken is cooked to at least 165 degrees. You may wish to dice the chicken before sauteeing. I like to leave the breast whole, trapping the juices inside THEN cutting into chunks.


I served mind with some quinoa that i cooked with chicken stock and another frond of lemongrass.
Let's hope my lemongrass and kaffirs make it through the freeze. I have a feeling the lemongrass will not - i'll just have to cook it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your feedback, especially if you've cooked one of my recipes or tried one of my tips: let me know how it turned out!