Monday, January 3, 2011

Garden Totals

Man, I don't know what has been with me the past week, but i cry every other minute, i can't get organized, every speck of dust sends me into tantrums, and my to-do lists just mock me and definitely DON'T get done. A. Sugar. B. Husband home. C. End of the year + beginning of the year + big changes for the upcoming few months = me is crazy!

Enough of that.
Last Spring I decided to write down all my plantings, fertilizings, successes and failures, and most importantly all my harvests. This was a worthy goal, but i definitely missed things like randomly picked bunches of greens, broccoli leaves, herbs, and those bushels of peppers that made it into the salsa before they were weighed. I did a pretty decent job of writing most things down though, and despite my very cramped and untidy chicken scratches that include ounces and pounds i've put together my totals.
And here they are!


  • Meyer Lemons: unknown since i harvested before the log began, but they juiced at least 4 ice cube trays worth
  • Broccoli - 4.15 lbs. (66.5 oz) Spring and Late Winter with plenty of more ready to be picked in 2011. First harvest Feb. 12th Note: apparently i had already harvested most of the broccoli before starting this log, which began Feb 12th.
  • Carrots - 2.5 lbs (40 oz) ~27 Carrots. First harvest Feb 17th
  • Multiplying onions - i stopped recording these since they just keep giving! I've harvested at least 10 times what i originally purchased for $2
  • Salad Greens - 8 lbs (128.3 oz) including two big heads averaging 12 oz each. Again, occasionally forgot to record until after the salad was tossed, woops. Plus a whole tub bolted and turned bitter. The chickens ate well that day. First harvest Feb 20
  • Cauliflower- 2 lbs (31.5 oz) That's just two heads!
  • Radishes - recorded 6 oz then stopped recording as radishes are too easy to eat in the garden
  • Kale- 1.8 lb (28.7 oz) +
  • Fava Bean (shelled)- 2.5 lb (39.6 oz) I believe i composted a lot of them as i couldn't get them to taste nice - grew them for the mulch anyway
  • Bulbing onions (planted as sets)- 10.5 lb (167 oz)  First harvest April 15th
  • Garlic- 4.2 lb (67.6 oz) Includes flowers. Largest bulb was 3.9 oz, picked May 31
  • Corn- 3.4 lb (54.5 oz) Lots of worm damage
  • Green beans- 8.2 oz - major failure
  • Tomatoes: 121.42 Pounds!
    • Porter Improved- 41.12 lb (658 oz) Over 500 tomatoes! I composted the plant while still covered, i just couldn't handle a tomato producing in January. So wrong.
    • Rutgers- just over a lb This plant just never really took off
    • Japanese Black Trifele- 47 lb over 80 tomatoes
    • Homestead- 27 lb
    • Viva Italia- 5.3 lb (85.45 oz) 
  • Peppers: 13+ Pounds
    • Concho Jalapeno-  1.5 lb (24.8 oz) This plant died from some sort of wilt
    • Mucho Nacho Jalapeno- 6.5 lb (104.7 oz) Over 100 fruits plus many undocumented
    • Serrano- 3.85 lb (61 oz) Over 170 fruits. Plant transplanted to a friend's garden with fruits in tact
    • "Not Cayenne" (some kind of mislabelled, hot pepper)- 8.8 oz Died of rot or wilt
    • Habanero- 9.1 oz Lightweight, delicious fruits. Plant died of the same nasty wilt or rot.
    • Tabasco and Cayenne plants - undocumented, very high yields. Lightweight fruits, but plenty of 'em!
  •  Eggplants, assorted varieties that did not do well- 1.4 lbs
  • Cucumbers: 22.6 Pounds
    • Lemon heirloom- 15.3 lbs (245.3 oz) over 50 fruits
    • Perisian Pickling and Marketmore(volunteer)- 7.3 lb (117 oz)
Not Bad!
That is a total of over 198 pounds of homegrown and eaten, organic produce. No wonder my hair is getting longer and my husbands' is getting thicker and i haven't been sick in over 6 years: we eat well!

Some growing, cultivating notes:
Carrots elude me. I never know when to pick them and i can't seem to get them to go from germinated to thinned to harvestable - they either crowd themselves and come to nothing, or just never show up at all.
I could eat kale every night. For some reason i have a devil of a time getting it to come up from seed and stay alive despite the snails. Seems it's finally being successful now in early January, so cross your fingers for a better Winter/Spring than Fall.
Green beans are usually super producers. I chose a bad variety for my climate apparently cuz i got nary a bean. At least last year we had tons - the only thing we had on hand to eat on our dash from our wedding to our honeymoon!
Tomatoes - wowee, what a year. Some heirlooms can sell for $5 a pound and we sell them for about $3 a pound at market - that would be $364! Not bad for about $10 for the transplant starts.

I kept pretty close records of when i planted, harvested, fertilized, etc - but i'm not about to transcribe all of that. Pretty fun to look back over the year and get an actual number to visualize along with all the tasty meals and vibrant health.

Do you keep records of your harvests? Do you know what percentage of what you eat you grow versus purchase at the store or market?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your feedback, especially if you've cooked one of my recipes or tried one of my tips: let me know how it turned out!