Thursday, December 16, 2010

Foldover Cookies

I'm not a total fan of these, simply because i'm not a huge fan of shortbready cookies or cookies i haven't been eating every Christmas for the past 28 years. They're good though, and definitely taste great with my homemade peach/habanero jam! I had to sub 1/4 cup olive oil for part of the butter and they were super hard to roll out of fold without busting and cracking.

Recipe from Good Housekeeping? (emailed from my Mama)
  • 2 cups flour
  • 3/4 cup butter or margarine
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 2 tblspns sugar
  • preserves
  • 1 egg beaten w/tblsp of milk
  • finely chopped nuts
  1. Put flour in bowl, make a hole
  2. thinly slice butter, put with egg yolks and sugar in hole
  3. work with fingers until creamy
  4. gradually blend in flour
  5. sprinkle with 2 tblsp cold water, make a ball and flatten
  6. wrap and chill well
  7. heat oven to 325
  8. cut dough in half, leave half in fridge
  9. roll on floured surface to 1/8 inch, cut in 2 1/2 " rounds
  10. repeat with other half
  11. place rounds on sheet, put 1/2 tsp jelly, fold in half and pinch edges
  12. brush tops with egg and sprinkle with nuts
  13. bake 18 - 20 minutes till golden brown
makes 5 dozen. No.Way. Mine made about 2 dozen. Clearly i wasn't rolling thinly enough.
Pretty though, ay? My dinner guests were pleased i'd made dessert for once.


And nevermind about these not being tasty enough for me to eat them.... I've been eating at least 3 a night. (Why oh why am i dabbling in baking bread during cookie baking season? My waistline can compete with fresh bread OR cookies, not both in the same day!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your feedback, especially if you've cooked one of my recipes or tried one of my tips: let me know how it turned out!