Thursday, April 1, 2010

Egg Salad Recipe

My egg salad is a little different every time, depending what i have on hand and what my mood is. It tends to be a bit crumbly and escape from betwixt the sandwich bread every so often. This weekend i will mush it with my potato masher to reduce this effect some.


The basics revolve around these elements:
  • Boiled eggs, 1 or 2 per serving depending on hunger
  • Finely diced onion
  • Finely diced pickle
  • Salt
  • Mayo
  • Mustard
  • Dried basil
  • Cracked pepper
Added elements:
  • Other dried herbs: turmeric, oregano, thyme, cumin
  • Finely diced garlic or garlic powder
  • Paprika, sweet or smoked
  • Bacon bits
  • Smoked salmon
  • Cayenne/ pepper flakes
  • Sun dried tomatoes
I like to finely dice up the onions and garlic first and place in bottom of small bowl. After cooking the eggs, i burn my little fingers peeling them while still hot, cut in half on cutting board and place cut side down onto onions. There, i cut with a knife into little dices, then mush a bit, mixing the egg with the onions. Repeat with as many eggs as you plan to use.  Let's base the amounts in this recipe on 2 eggs.
Mix the eggs with the onions, add pickles if you're using them and a good spoonful of mayo. I usually use about equal amounts of mayo and mustard, and not a ton of either. I can always add more mayo to my sandwich bread, right? Mix well and add whatever herbs/spices you like to taste. Finally, throw in any special touches like bacon bits or smoked salmon at the end and serve on some soft bread: my favorite is a soft oat bread from orowheat, or those delicious Oregon breads i used to have back when i lived in the Northwest. You could also serve on toast, a waffle as in this photo, or eat out of the bowl with a spoon!

I love egg salad. I think the most important thing is to be sparing with the mayo, don't forget the mustard, and taste as you mix as too many flavors can muddle things up a bit.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your feedback, especially if you've cooked one of my recipes or tried one of my tips: let me know how it turned out!