Saturday, March 13, 2010

Happy Healthy Banana Muffins with Dates

Oh man. I just ate one straight out of the oven with butter. I'm having a hard time not going back in the kitchen and stealing all of them!
In my Belly!
Now!

Resist, Miranda.

Anyhoo - I had a cup of sprouted grain flour i ground the other day, 3 bananas and some dates - the logical next step: Muffins! Sugar free and fat free muffins!
(ps, i made these guys on Thursday but am posting it Saturday - make some for this weekend's brunch - you'll love them fresh from the oven or as dessert later in the day, and they take sooo little time to prepare - you can have them baking while cooking up the eggs!)

I found this great recipe online. And changed it up just a bit to work with the ingredients i had on hand:
  • 2 1/2 ripe bananas
  • 5 or so dates, pitted
  • 3/4 tsp cinnamon plus 4 dashes pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 tsp soda
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1 1/2 cup flour (i used one cup freshly ground flour from sprouted red wheat plus 1/2 cup unbleached white whole wheat flour)
  • 1/3 cup homemade applesauce
  1. Mash bananas, add chopped dates
  2. Add cinnamon and egg- slightly scrambled
  3. Add applesauce and mix in
  4. Mix dry ingredients together on top of wet, stir in until well combined
  5. Bake in muffin tins at 375 degrees for 20 minutes

They turned out perfectly! Moist. Flavorful. A little crunchy here and there due to my unevenly ground flour. Delicious with a little bloblet of homemade butter. These are mostly destined for the husband's stomach while at work on on his way.... but i think i'll be saving a few more for myself. So delicious, and completely unsinful. I'll be making these again.


I just love baking with no sugar or oil and having the results be as delicious and decadent as something more naughty.
What's your favorite "healthy" baked good recipe?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your feedback, especially if you've cooked one of my recipes or tried one of my tips: let me know how it turned out!