Monday, February 8, 2010

Pamper Your Body

A good friend of mine recently moved to my town. I couldn't be happier. We're both artsy, crafty folk and are both on the same wavelength with all this healthy eating i've been talking up lately (sprouted and soaked whole grains, fermented foods, cooking for your thyroid, yadda yadda). It's great to have someone to dork out about this stuff with, and it's super great to have someone else working on different projects and sharing with each other!

Mandy stopped by the other day and I exchanged eggs, homemade herbal hair rinse, and samples of my latest cooking projects for some homemade body scrub she made.
I took a shower that evening, and let me tell you: this stuff is great! I was feeling all tense and nasty, and after rubbing myself with this gritty goodness i felt calmer, and softer - really gets the grunge off while adding some nice moisture as well.

Here's Mandy's recipe:

body scrub:
  • oatmeal  (ground)
  • white sugar
  • brown sugar
  • sea salt
  • flaxseed (ground)
  • honey
  • vitamin c (acne, anti aging)
  • vitamin e (anti aging)
  • olive oil (for young skin)
  • avocado oil (for mature skin)
  • flaxseed oil (acne, psoriasis, eczema, scars)
  • borage oil (for problem skin such as psoriasis or eczema)
  • jojoba oil (for acne)
  • tea tree oil (for sensitive or inflamed skin)
  • lavendar oil (hydration, evening skin tone, clearing blemishes)

*There are many more essential oils that are good for the skin.  I would recommend finding the ones that best fit your skin type.

I ground my oatmeal, flaxseed and/or any vitamins that do not come in an oil form first (in a food processor).  Then I combine the dry ingredients together.  Your sugar, oatmeal and/or sea salt will be the main ingredients. I use more ground oats than any other dry ingredient because my skin is sensitive, but if you want a more gritty feeling scrub then use more sugar. Next you add the oils.   Use a base oil such as olive oil and your honey to get a good consistency for the scrub.  Last you add your essential oils  A little of this oil goes a long way.  I use about 10 drops of essential oils.  If I use 2 essential oils then I would use 5 drops of each.  I also use high quality organic products, and local honey!
 
Mandy's food processor wasn't working, so my scrub is a little coarser than she'd have liked. I don't care - i love it!
Thank you, my friend. Next we must bake together!

Check out Mandy's photography site here, her new website will be up soon, featuring her installation pieces and other work as well.

Do you ever share projects with friends? What's your favorite thing to give or receive from a friend?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your feedback, especially if you've cooked one of my recipes or tried one of my tips: let me know how it turned out!