Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Pumpkin Bread, a Less Evil Version

I looooove pumpkin bread! But i REALLY love the sinful form. I will not allow that deliciousness in my house, however unless i'm surrounded by all my sisters or at least one of my 3 dads. So i altered a recipe from my mom and came up with a loaf that's yummy and cakey and buoyant without being sodden with oil. I cooked down a million apples this fall just for the purpose of baking and subbing oil with applesauce, and so i shall! Turned out great:

  • 3 cups flour
  • Less than 2 cups sugar (go lean and mix half white/brown)
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp clove
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp nutmeg (i was out of this and added a few dashes of pumpkin pie spice instead)
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 16 oz (2 cups) Pumpkin, i used home cooked/pureed pumpkin that was mixed with some raw milk whey
  • 2/3 cup oil - i used all applesauce instead of the oil
  • 3 eggs slightly beaten - i added one simply because my ladies' eggs are so small
  • I also added about a 1/2 cup of pecans
  1. Preheat 350
  2. Mix together flour and next 6 ingredients
  3. Add the wet ingredients and mix until just blended
  4. Do not overmix!
  5. Pour batter into two 9x5 pans, or in my case a 9x5 pan and two little pans. Fill pans about half way, dough will rise
  6. Bake for 1 hour, let cool 10 minutes and remove from pan
I occasionally run into a bit of egg white or applesauce, but it doesn't bother me! Quite tastey and so far has been enjoyed by all. It's not super sweet, and it could maybe be a little spicier.
To be naughty serve with a little margarine or Smart Balance on top. Yummmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your feedback, especially if you've cooked one of my recipes or tried one of my tips: let me know how it turned out!