Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Mashed Cauliflower/Potato with Herbs and Garlic


Scrumptious!
A while back my friend in New York asked how to mash cauliflower. I mentioned some ideas, but was really shooting off the hip as i'd never made such a thing before. i was wandering through  my local market and saw some cauliflower, i thought to myself "i've been eating like a pig lately, it would be nice to make a low cal but hearty meal tonight" and purchased a head of cauli and a medium sized white potato. Along with some fresh herbs from the garden and some olive oil i roasted some garlic in the other day, this turned into quite the feast.  Accompanied by the first eggs laid by our girls, this feast was fit for a king!

  • 1 head cauliflower
  • 1 medium white potato
  • 3 garlic cloves
  • 3 ice cubes of turkey stock (about 1/2 cup)
  • fresh rosemary, diced from 2 inches of stalk
  • 1 jalapeno, chopped
  • salt and pepper
Cut Cauliflower and Potato into uniform sized chunks. Boil together in a large pot, just barely covered by water, until potato is soft enough to poke a fork into without resistance. Drain off all liquid (save it to mix with your chicken's mash or pour into compost) and put drained veg into a good sized mixing bowl.   While the veg was boiling, mix together remaining ingredients in the mixing bowl - heating briefly in the microwave to melt the turkey cubes.  Place cooked veg on top of ingredients in the bowl and blend well with an immersion blender. This makes a very nicely whipped and creamy mashed potato like dish without the heavy carbs of straight potato. Next time i will try this without the potato to see if the cauliflower can carry the dish on its own. 
I served the potato drizzled with some garlic olive oil (Yum overload) and more salt. For the hungry husband I also served with a link of chicken sausage and some meunster cheese on top. (I added a little cheese to my seconds, it was reeeaaal good).
I served the whole meal with the first fried eggs from our chickens - they were uber flavorful and delicious. I put some ketchup on the plate, but regretted that decision. Yard fresh eggs do not require ketchup to make them palatable, the ketchup just got in the way.

Mashed Cauliflower With Potato and Garlic on Foodista

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your feedback, especially if you've cooked one of my recipes or tried one of my tips: let me know how it turned out!