Monday, November 30, 2009

Whey Biscuits

So I was going to attempt something really exciting today and bake my first loaf of bread since highschool, and in the proper way.
But I got a little freaked out and really don't need to be eating a loaf of homemade bread right before Thanksgiving.....

So I think I'll try these biscuits instead.  I have some delicious whey in the fridge leftover from a gallon of raw milk I purchased from a local farm that I used to make some lemon cheese with juice from my Meyer Lemon tree. The cheese is delicious, the raw milk was amazing (i don't drink milk from cows, but i think i'm sold on the raw alternative: soooo good) and now i have some super yummy whey left over. I'll feed some to the chickens, maybe make some lacto fermented something, and do a little baking.

I used that recipe as reference, but found that my flour is self rising baking flour and had a great little recipe on the side of the bag too - so i combined and this is what i did (recipe is halved and made 4 biscuits):
  • 1 cup flour (self rising)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/8 cup Crisco
  • Chopped fresh herbs: rosemary, sage, basil, oregano - about 1-2 tablespoons
  • 3 cloves garlic finely diced
  • 1/2 cup whey

Mix the salt, garlic and herbs with the flour and cut in the shortening. Add whey slowly to make a slightly sticky, kneadable dough, you may not use all of the whey. Blop your biscuits on a lightly greased pan and bake at 450 for 8-10 minutes or until bottoms lightly brown.
Yum! They turned out SO good, and the herbs really made a difference. Savory and delicious, and a perfect accompaniment to the turkey soup i made.  Very easy to do and a hit with all the guests.



Baking Powder Biscuits on Foodista

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your feedback, especially if you've cooked one of my recipes or tried one of my tips: let me know how it turned out!