Sunday, November 8, 2009

And now for something.... completely different.

I am obsessed with food. Cooking it, eating it, planning it, growing it, gifting it....... shall we say this obsession has started to become, ahem, apparent. I fit into none of my pants, and although I'm pretty much fine with my expanding womanly body - i'd like to keep some control over it. And after this weekend's alone time with too many leftovers - i think it's prudent to take some steps to clarify the ole' bod. Granted, I usually eat healthy home grown foods - but too much is just too much, you know?

Anyhoo - while searching around on the Happy Herbalist for more info on kombucha brewing, I happened upon this recipe. I've known someone who's done this "cleanse" and i about shot her in the face having to listen to her go on and on about it all day every day for a week. But since i work alone and have no one to gripe to (except you marvelous readers), i thought what the heck, i've never dieted ever - i might as well give it a chance. The thing i'm most worried about is abstaining from wine for a whole week. yes, i'm a lush. But if the husband can back me, i just might be able to do it.

The premise is that you cook a big batch of cabbagy soup and eat as much of that as you want all week, but following wierdo dietary restrictions each day throughout the week. I've never been one for listening to dietary directions, but we'll see if i can do it. Worth a shot, right? the hardest part will be continuing through the weekend when we plan on going camping. that and not diving into the meusli box or tortilla stack whenever i feel like it ;). The reason i think it MIGHT work out for me: i like shoving food in my face. Doesn't really matter necessarily what kind of food it is. SO if i have a pot of soup i can suck down whenever i want to stick something in to my face - i should be set. right? we'll see.


The soup:
I'm making a huge batch of it, so amounts are approximate and to your own taste, i think. I'll probably add to it some throughout the week to make it a little different and fresh day to day. I bought some things from the store, and will supplement with veggies from the garden, especially lots of hot peppers
  • large bunch green onions
  • 2 cans tomato
  • 4-8 cloves garlic
  • large onion (calls for purple, i have no purple onions)
  • cabbage (i'm using one napa and one savoy)
  • bunch celery
  • green peppers
  • hot pepper or peppers of your choice
  • Shitake mushrooms (i'm using dry that i have on hand)
  • large piece kombu (seaweed, find it with oriental foods)
  • water and chicken stock
  • herbs for flavor: rosemary, sage, thyme, oregano, tarragon, whatever
Basic soup. Chop stuff up and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer until things are soft to your liking, adding the fresh herbs towards the end.


(seems a shame to make this soup all fresh and delicious tonight, only to stick it in the fridge to have to reheat tomorrow..... let's hope it still tastes good, which it does, by the way - it's all about those herbs and seasonings!)

So that is the soup recipe. Instead of laying out the whole "diet" here and now, I'll be posting daily on my progress and the details of the diet regimine. Tonight is my last night of freedom, and i'll be making stuffed bell peppers with tofu and quinoa. and drinking wine. plenty of wine.
wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your feedback, especially if you've cooked one of my recipes or tried one of my tips: let me know how it turned out!