Many WRONG ways in my opinion.
I've seen it too many times: wasted fruit tossed out with the skin when someone tried to cut it off. Sticky hands covered in green when someone tried to scoop out the flesh. Etcetera, etcetera.
Sure these OTHER ways get the job done - but too often it takes to long, is too messy, or wastes delicious (and expensive!) avocado fruit.
This is the way I do it, I hope you'll try it some time.
*disclaimer - the avocado used in this tutorial is not fully ripe so it's A. greener B. doesn't come out of the skin as well as a ripe one would.
- Cut avocado in half. Pick out that little stem lumpy thing.
- Smack the seed with a big knife and twist the seed out. Knock the handle of the knife against the edge of the sink or counter to get the slimy seed off the knife blade.
- With a knife, score the flesh of the avocado (touching but not cutting the inner skin) long ways.
- Do the same cross ways to create a bunch of little squares.
- Hold avocado over bowl and squeeze gently from the inside to the outside to get the squares to pop out of the skin OR scoop fruit out with a large spoon.
- Repeat on opposite side of avocado.
Twist seed out.
Now, I better not catch any of YOU peeling an avocado any time soon!