Monday, October 19, 2009

Leek and Potato Soup

The Autumnal feeling is not quite as noticeable on this 70+ degree sunny day. That will not stop me from cooking some yummy soup, however. The Leek Sauce that I made to go with last week's baked squash was soo tasty that I ended up slurping it up cold, straight from the fridge, throughout the next day. So I figure if it's good enough to drink like cold soup, skip the cornstarch and make proper warm soup out of it!
Yeeha:

Leek and Potato Soup
  • 1 Big Leek
  • 1 red potato
  • as much garlic as you want: think i'll use about 5 cloves. I really like garlic.
  • 1 bay leaf
  • salt and pepper
  • carton of veggie stock plus some frozen, homemade chx stock
  • large pinches dried oregano, sage, cumin
Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and simmer for as long as you want. I like to simmer for at least an hour to really release all the flavors of the veggies. When you're done simmering, fish out the bay leaves then blend smooth with an immersion blender.
(note, if you're sad and have no immersion blender you can also allow the soup to cool some and blend it in batches in a regular blender. But this is messy, involves various bowls and dirty blenders and is difficult to avoid burning yourself. So do yourself a favor and go buy an immersion blender. It will be an investment you will make you jump for joy every time you use it, which will be often.)

Serve with a little more salt, and maybe some bacon bits if you're feeling decadent. I again forgot to take a picture of the final product, much to my post yummy meal chagrin, but here's what i got:

Big Leek.


Ingredients all added.


Simmering for an hour + pre blended.


The final product is a nice, creamy looking soup. The potato thickens it a bit. I might add an onion next time to add a little more bite/sweetness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your feedback, especially if you've cooked one of my recipes or tried one of my tips: let me know how it turned out!