Monday, October 19, 2009

Afternoon Applesauce

I live in Texas. I no longer live in the land of appley opulence of Oregon or upstate New York. I am at a disadvantage.

I won't let it stop me though. When it is fall, it is time to make applesauce. Even if you have to buy the stinkin' apples from the market. I want to make some baked goods this winter, and i'd like to use my own applesauce for the sweetener. So here i go.

Appley sauce.
  • Apples, peeled and cut up. A lot. As many as fit in your pot. Try different varieties to see which you like. Add at least one Granny Smith for the tang, though. (you can give the peels to your chickens but they'll look at you with disdain, so just throw them into the compost)
  • some lemon juice. I used 3 ice cubes of meyer lemon juice.
  • cup or so apple cider that you really like. this adds some spices and liquid. I unfortunately had no cider so i just added a little water.
  • 2 cinnamon sticks
  • dashes cloves, ginger
  • sprinkle of salt.
Cover the pot and bring to about medium heat. Stir occasionally so that you don't burn anything. Once the apples are more liquidy and turning to mush, reduce heat to low. Cook until it's a pile of mush with some chunks instead of a pile of chunks with some mush. You can add some sugar if you really HAVE to. I don't. You can also add some more seasonings if you'd like.

My plan is to maybe eat a little of this for dessert, but most will go into ziplocks into the freezer to be used in quick breads and muffins.... maybe even pancakes if i'm feeling real decadent this Winter!


Apples chunked with spices added.

Mush is being achieved, heat turned to low and covered back up.

Yum. Tastes good, and smells amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your feedback, especially if you've cooked one of my recipes or tried one of my tips: let me know how it turned out!