First thing to do today, after walking the girl and dog, is harvest the sea of basil and begin the tedious task of plucking, picking, and pestoing. Pesto recipe in a previous post, though this batch will include a fresh jalapeno for extra "kick."
Pesto Pasta Salad:
- 1 cup fresh pesto with jalapeno
- almost a pound of pasta (hint: i filled the bowl i planned to use and used just a little less for room to stir, the bowties stayed the same size - though next time i think i'd rather use a spiral pasta to emphasize the pesto flavor more)
- 1 can black olives, chopped
- 4 oz precooked cocktail shrimp
- 3 large cloves garlic, diced
- 1/2 med onion, diced small
- salt, pepper, herbs to taste
- (sundried tomatoes would be great if you have them!)
Cook pasta until al dente or a little softer, drain and rinse.
Place pasta in bowl or storage container and add the shrimp mixture - stir. Add the pesto a bit at a time stirring well until pasta is coated to your preference. Add salt to taste. Toss in olives and sundried tomatoes and stir to coat.
It's not the prettiest thing in the world, would be nicer if I had tomatoes, but this will be great fresh and warm, and will keep several days in the fridge (or in my case the camping cooler) for a refreshing cold lunch or snack. Also freezes well. This is a great thing to have in the fridge any time.
Option: serve with a dash of balsamic vinegar.