- 2 cups flour *I used 1.5 C bread flour as i was out of all purpose and .5 C cornmeal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- -1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup or one stick butter, chilled, quartered and diced into smallish chunks
- 8-10 T fresh meyer lemon juice (Juice from 1.5 of my lemons)
- 1-2 tsp meyer lemon zest (Zest from 2 lemons
- Agave nectar and more lemon juice
Mix the dry ingredients, including sugar until well sifted. Mix in the zest. Add butter, toss to coat then work in with your fingers. You want a sandy consistency, but don't melt the butter with your hands. A few chunks are okay, but try and get the dough a uniform texture. Add about half the juice and mix with a spoon. Add the rest of the juice and mix until the dough forms a ball. I found i had to knead with my hands to get it good and mixed - could maybe have used more juice due to the cornmeal. Divide in two and form two balls, flatten to about 1 inch thick, and quarter. I cut my dough balls into 8ths. Separate scones slightly and bake at 400 for about 20 minutes or until golden. Mix up a splash agave nectar with a bit more juice and drizzle glaze on top of scones. Serve cooled or slightly warm. Makes 8 - 16 depending how small you cut them.
I ate one last night: DELICIOUS, and sent the rest to work with my hubby. Hope the folks at Sunset Canyon Pottery enjoy the treat!
This post can be seen at Simple Lives Thursday, a great blog hop for sustainable ideas.