Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Tilapia and Pesto - Easy Weeknight Meal

So, i forgot to take a picture of this. Here's a photo of what's left of the pesto i made:

Pesto with Pistachios

I know, wow, that's not a great photo. It was a great dinner though! Although, i must admit i made it too spicy for my very-chapped-from-mouth-breathing-with-allergies lips. Tonight's dinner will be bland.

This dinner was easy to do and i did all the prep during commercial breaks of my still favorite show, House. The pesto was an experiment using the last of my Genovese basil and some shelled, raw pistacios. I simply blended the basil, pistacios - about a half cup to about 2 cups basil, salt and some olive oil. Wammo, and really interestingly tasty. I think i'll try more pestos with these flavorful and already green nuts - really adds another dimension to the pesto.

Pesto with Pistachios
Tilapia with Pesto:
  • 4 thawed tilapia filets
  • 8 ice cubes or about 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 1 large garlic clove, diced
  • about 5 oz pesto
  • 2 serranos, diced. 2 too many this time around. Ouch.
Lay out fish, stock, onions, garlic and peppers in a saute pan, lidded. Season with salt and pepper and spoon pesto in on top. Heat at medium until cooked through, flipping half way. I chopped in one commercial, turned on heat in another, flipped in another and all was ready to eat in about 45 minutes - would have been 20-30 if i'd been cooking higher with more attention paid. Served with brown rice and a side of peas.
Good, i tell ya. Real good and saucy. The rice absorbed the sauce and the peas swam around with whatever sauce was left and plates were licked clean!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your feedback, especially if you've cooked one of my recipes or tried one of my tips: let me know how it turned out!