Friday, October 29, 2010

Brunch Recipes #2: Skillet Taters and Two Fritattas

A. I never know if fritatta is spelled frittatta or fritatta. I'm going with fritatta. Both get little red mispelling lines underneath. But so does misspelling. haha.
okay, focus, miranda.

Vivian's 90th birthday brunch. A success! Good thing i love cooking.

I had a great soux chef for our family brunch: my husband who was dear enough to travel 6 hours to meet my ENTIRE family and then help me stir potatoes for half an hour. What a guy. The potatoes were easy, just required a lot of stirring. You can sub any seasonings you like, add more oil, more onions, whatever. They're easy. I make fritattas about once a week or so, so i've gotten 'back of my hand' with them too, tossing in whatever i have on hand. The main thing to remember about the fritatta: 375 degrees for about 20 minutes, until bubbling, puffed, and fully cooked in the center.

I got to use my grandma's mother's cast iron pans, making the fritattas that much more special.

I cooked two, factoring my grandmother's inability to digest onions or garlic. I also made her her own little dish of onion/garlic free potatoes. Birthday girl gets a taste of everything!

Potatoes
  • A bunch of local potatoes, red and purple
  • Smoked paprika
  • Chopped onion and garlic
  • Fresh herbs: rosemary, sage
  • Salt, pepper
  • Whatever else you want!
skillet taters

Oil the pan and skillet fry those taters. It was more of a 'move and flip to cook evenly' than a fry - but you get the picture. I could have roasted them in the oven, but it was being used for muffins and fritattas. I think we cooked them for at least 30 minutes.

Vivian's 90th birthday brunch. A success! Good thing i love cooking.

Fritatta 1
  • 5-6 eggs
  • Roasted pumpkin flesh
  • Dash milk
  • Fresh herbs: rosemary, sage, basil
  • Local champagne cheese
Fritatta 2
  • Maybe a full dozen eggs
  • Splash milk
  • Sauteed veg
    • Broccoli
    • Garlic
    • Onion
  • Fresh, chopped tomatoes (from my Austin garden)
    • Herbs: rosemary, sage, basil
    • Salt, pepper
    • Sliced onion for garnish
    • Local cheddar cheese
    Fritatta with fresh, local veggies and cheddar

    For both fritattas:
    Microwave a big potato and slice very thin. Meantime sautee the onions, garlic with seasonings adding the broccoli last. Remove from pan. Grease pan(s) and lay down the potatoes evenly like a bottom crust. Whip up the eggs with their splashes milk and their veggies/ seasoning. Pour half over the potato crust, layer cheese evenly as a middle layer topping with remaining egg. Cook at 375 until done - the bigger one took about 30 minutes, the smaller about 20. I liked putting the cheese in a sliced layer instead of shredding into the egg mixture because you got a layer type goo yum instead of invisible cheese calories hiding in the mix.

    Pretty easy and very delicious. I liked cooking the fritattas in the cast iron because it kept them fairly warm up til breakfast time. Test for doneness when you the center puffing up - they're done when they firmly resist pressure, or a fork peeked inside shows cooked egg with no goo (other than cheese goo).

    I think i did a decent job putting together a fairly seasonal/locally sourced brunch menu. I did cook some ham that came from Kansas City, and the fruit salad was bananas and canned fruit :(   but the rest of the 'from scratch' goodies at least were as local as i could get.

    What would you have made your family for a special birthday brunch?

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Thank you so much for your feedback, especially if you've cooked one of my recipes or tried one of my tips: let me know how it turned out!