For the tofu:
Freeze the tofu before hand to get a better texture.
Cut into chunks and scatter in a pan with some olive oil (spray) on med/high: tofu takes much longer to brown than meat, so leave it a while.
Sprinkle with salt, smoked paprika, cumin.
Cook until all sides are good and browned. Turn off the heat and add some:
- hemp seeds
- sunflower seeds
- flax seeds
In the meantime, boil some water and cook your pasta. While you're waiting for the water to boil, assemble your sauce:
- White wine vinegar
- Olive oil (maybe a half cup each? i just poured the amount i wanted - more vinegar than oil)
- Splash mirin
- 3 large kaffir lime leaves
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 2 large multiplying onions with greens, or scallions, or bulb onions
- Tablespoon or so of peaches, diced
- Splash worchestershire sauce
- 3 large jalapenos, ripe, de-seeded (i de-seeded one and left the rest with seeds)
- salt, pepper, cumin, sweet smoked paprika
Cook and drain the pasta, add the sauce, add the tofu - voila! Into the fridge to be enjoyed tomorrow, or serve right away. If waiting, the pasta will absorb the sauce - which is either good or bad depending on how you look at it.
Pasta salad is one of my favorite things to make for going camping, as long as i have a well fitted lid to go on this here Pyrex dish (cooler water likes to invade my camping food). It's an easy 'pick as you go' snack to have around, and also a filling and satisfying sit down picnic lunch. If you can't get kaffir lime leaves, you could use the juice of a key lime or some lemongrass - but get the kaffir leaves, they're so awesome!
What's your favorite potluck/picnic dish?