Monday, August 2, 2010

Cool Cucumber Salad - One of Many Versions

I have been making many versions of this cucumber salad this season. I pretty much just pick what's ripe in the garden and what's on hand in the fridge. This version uses the last of my homemade yogurt and is spruced up with some sunflower seeds.

  • 2 lemon cucumbers
  • 3 porter tomatoes
  • Bunch lemon basil, diced
  • Drizzle (maybe 2 tablespoons?) yogurt
  • Fresh purple hulled peas - from 5 or so pods 
  • 1 'not cayenne' diced fine for some kick (was a little too much kick - whatever those not-cayennes are they're pretty spicy)
  • 2 roasted garlic cloves
  • Salt, pepper
  • Pinch sunflower seeds (raw)
Mix, chill, serve. Very refreshing after a hot day in the garden. Other variations of this salad have included:
  • Diced celery
  • More tomatoes - no tomatoes
  • Summer squash
  • Chunks of tofu or cheese
  • Sour cream
  • Ricotta cheese and hot sauce
  • Balsamic and olive oil
The options are pretty much endless. This was a very tasty version, though. I just love how lemon basil is both lemony and basily in one - no need to add lemon or lime juice to things. I planted lemon basil once, and have never done so again - i always let a few bushes go to seed and they reward me with plenty of volunteers the next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your feedback, especially if you've cooked one of my recipes or tried one of my tips: let me know how it turned out!