It's hot pepper season around here, so i've been trying to use my surplus in new and unusual ways. I made a delicious thai curry with homemade yogurt last week, lack tomatoes during the heatwave so no salsa, and made chilly last week also. This time, i'll skip the soup and just make a loaf 'o chilly. You could probably use any meat with this recipe, but don't skimp on the peppers: Firey kick is good for that heart!
- 1 pound meat, i used ground turkey
- 1 heaping cup diced red ripe jalapenos with seeds, plus one habanero with seeds removed
- Tsp smoked paprika
- Drizzle olive oil (the turkey meat has no fat)
- Several splashes worchestershire sauce
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1/2 cup finely diced jicama
- 1/4 cup frozen corn
- Pinches chilly powder and cumin
- Salt and pepper
- Tomato paste - 2 spoonfulls plus enough to coat the top of the loaf
The loaf was delicious and spicy, but i was almost more excited about the side dish i made: mashed potatoes.
I'm normally not very good at making mashed potatoes, but i gave it a shot and they turned out AMAZING.
- 2 red potatoes, diced into even chunks
- 1 LARGE garlic clove
- Homemade yogurt - thin and not super duper tangy
- Pinch dill
- Salt and Pepper
PS - For leftovers the next night, i took the leftover meat loaf, chopped it up and mixed it with some of the leftover crushed tomatoes i used as i was out of tomato paste, brought to a simmer, served on soft buns: sloppy joes!
This post also found at Simple Lives Thursday.