Anyhoo, today i've got two recipes, both utilizing my Summer's bounty. This is the time of year i long for all Winter! The time of year where i can walk into my yard, suffer a million mosquito bites, and enjoy a fresh dinner comprising solely of homegrown veg and herb. Since it's never quite the same, thrown together based on what is ripe, i don't usually post the recipe - but last night's dinner was just so yummy and beautiful i thought i'd post it. All the veggies can be interchanged to some degree, but what's better than freshly picked homegrown tomatoes and cucumbers??? I can't think of anything.
- Freshly picked homegrown tomatoes. I used Porter Improved and Japanese Black Trifele (which tastes a lot like Cherokee Purple, very rich and meaty, but is way more productive. Always pick at blush or with green shoulders, and eat with green shoulders or they taste almost rotten)
- 1 freshly picked lemon cucumber. Could use 2, i only had one ready.
- Nice bunch of lemon basil
- Pinch garlic chives
- 1 small red onion
- Several cloves of garlic
- Salt and Pepper
- Cayenne and Chilly powders - could use fresh or dried peppers
- 1 cob fresh corn, boiled lightly, kernels removed
- Splash balsalmic
- Very light drizzle olive oil
- Optional chunks of homemade cheese, or feta or mozz
This is similar to salsa, so if your kiddos like salsa you could chop all of these ingredients finely and serve as such, or just add cucumbers to all your favorite salsa recipes.
Egg Salad Plus
- 4 boiled eggs, chopped and mushed
- 1 very small onion finely chopped - may omit for kid friendly version
- Pinch of garlic chives, scallion, or one clove garlic - may omit most of the raw veg for kid friendliness
- Fresh Genovese basil, about 3 leaves finely chopped
- Dash cayenne
- 3 strips turkey bacon cooked and chopped fine
- Smoked paprika - hot or sweet, good pinch
- Spoon full of homemade mayo (which tastes very mustardy)
- Two spoons of mustard - dijon or brown
- Note: you don't need much mayo or mustard and can omit the mayo completely and just spread mayo on the sandwich bread for mayo likers
- Salt and Pepper
- Sundried tomatoes would also be really good
So, off we go to celebrate our first anniversary as a wedded couple! It's been a wonderful year so far, and i look forward to many more in the future. It is so wonderful to spend ones life with ones best friend: especially when he loves my cooking as much as he does! Have a great weekend, everyone. I'll be back to posting on Tuesday.