Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Pondering on Feminism and Homesteading....

I've always been a bit of a feminist. I never planned on changing my last name, i focused my life and learning on my own career, i married for love not money, and i tend to wear the pants a lot of the time (much to the husband's chagrine, i'm sure).

I met my husband in graduate school, wearing this t-shirt from college.
He's always said he was a little intimidated by me that day: "that loud feminist chick." 

But lately, i've been enjoying daily activities like: baking granola and granola bars for a few hours to keep my husband well fed while at work, tending to my flock and my gardens to provide healthy food for my family and friends, mending and sewing our clothes and balancing our budgets. This is not sounding overly femiminst... but maybe it is.

Is it "okay" for us independent spirited women to embrace a lifestyle that may be considered 'demeaning' to woman's lib? But what does that mean, anyway? Liberation? Shouldn't that mean we can choose the life and lifestyle that is best for us and those we love?

My friend Sarah B recently sent me this awesome article. It tackles the idea of the modern woman/feminist/homemaker and how she (we) deals with her modern role in society and the family.
I found this article to hit very close to home and really validate what i'm doing with my life. From kitchen gardens to chickens to spending more time cooking and crafting for our families. I may not be a mama, and i doubt i would homeschool if i was, but the article covers a lot of good stuff - but it's brief! So give it a read. I know many of my followers are homemakers, and others are working women simply looking for recipes and tips on living closer to nature. I would like to see what all of you think about this topic.

So, let me know what you think of the article- what did you like/dislike, connect to, be inspired by?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your feedback, especially if you've cooked one of my recipes or tried one of my tips: let me know how it turned out!