Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Black Bean Soup over Rice

Yummmmmm.
This recipe isn't completely specific as it was a soup i threw together throughout the course of the day. I'm trying my hand at sprouting some black beans to increase their nutrient absorption factor, and filled my sprouting jar a bit too full. The beans had soaked over night so i took out about half and plopped them in a pot with a little water and turkey stock. I started around 3 pm bringing the beans and liquid to a boil then reducing to simmer for the rest of the evening. Around 5 i added these ingredients:
  • 1 chopped onion
  • salt and pepper
  • cumin
  • chilli powder
  • T or so chopped sorrel
  • 1 diced habanero
  • big spoonful diced garlic
  • splash of vinegar (releases more nutrients in soups)
I simmered the soup covered for most of the day, but uncovered it to allow the liquid to reduce some around 6. The result was a nicely balanced soup that wasn't too thin or thick. Spicy for sure, and great served over some rice that i cooked with liquid from a can of Rotel and some veggie stock.

I served the soup topped with freshly diced cilantro, avocado, cheese, and the tomatoes from the Rotel. The entire dish, save the can of Rotel (spicy diced tomatoes) and shredded cheese was from scratch: dried beans, veg from the garden, and homemade stock.


What a great ending to a chilly day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your feedback, especially if you've cooked one of my recipes or tried one of my tips: let me know how it turned out!