Things i CAN get done in the next two weeks:
- Move last year's gourd planters from the back to the front, mix in compost and plant some onion sets and mustard seed
- Set the chicken tractor over the area the planters had been to prepare a new bed for the husband's 2010 gourd plants
- Bring the chickens to the front yard to do some mowing of emerging weeds and fertilizing of the lawn
- Occasionally till at the compost pile that is finishing, and keep adding goodies to the active pile
- Clean out the chicken coop with bleach (ick i know but they have lice, even more ick!) and dust all the birds with Sevin dust, repeating every 7-10 days a few times and keep closer tabs on changing out their bedding and sprinkling DE (diatomaceous earth) wherever they dust bathe
- Also with the chickens: i discovered they have pox, which is scary but not usually fatal. So for the next month or so i will monitor their health closely and apply tea tree oil and other healing ointments to their pox
Spring is a fun time in Austin: the wildflowers will start popping up soon in successive displays of beauty, temperatures will be lovely without as many mosquitoes, and the lurking demon of summer heat will be ignorable - for now.