Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Rainy Days and Ravenous Chickens

The chickens are growing. Soot and Belina are both clucking. Belina's wattles are pinking up. Soot is getting more assertive and less our darling molestable baby doll. And most of all: They're eating a LOT.
I feed them grower crumbles every morning and it's almost gone by late afternoon. You're killing me, girls! The garden isn't giving me much scraps to throw, so i need to be creative.
These rainy days have brought a 'chill' to Austin. It's Austin, it's not "cold" per say, but the coolest their little chicken bodies have ever encountered. So I decided to give them a cool weather treat. Hopefully it will fill their bellies and warm them into a docile slumber this evening.

  • Organic rolled oats
  • a few raisons
  • a tablespoon brewer's yeast
  • sprinkling of frozen corn
  • and a smattering of shelled sunflower seeds
Heated on the stove until soft and mushy and delicious (albeit bland). They seemed to enjoy the treat quite a bit, though I feel a little bad for their chicken selves: chicken tongues just don't do the lip-licking trick! Much oatmeal was spattered all about the coop, me, and each others' backs.

Pretty cute, actually.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your feedback, especially if you've cooked one of my recipes or tried one of my tips: let me know how it turned out!