Thursday, June 3, 2010

Recipe: Black Beans and Corn

I've posted recipes similar to this a few times, but wanted to reitorate how TASTY AND EASY this is to make. Great to have on hand for vegetarian snacks or lunches - or to serve plated up as a main course for dinner.  I always get very excited when my garden is producing enough to fill otu a nearly complete meal. If i'd grown more black eyed peas last year i might have been able to do it - but this batch uses soaked and homecooked store bought black beans. I grew the rest of the ingredients, though! I think that makes it taste better, personally.


Zesty Black Beans with Fresh Corn
  • Dried black beans, probably about 2 cups. Soaked over night and cooked for about 3-4 hours with kaffir lime leaves and a diced garlic clove
  • Lightly boiled corn on the cob, cut off the cob. Equal amount to the beans.
  • 3 finely diced garlic cloves
  • 1 finely diced red onion
  • Finely diced jalapeno
  • Dashes cumin, chilli powder, cayenne powder, pepper
  • Liberal salt
  • Splashes of white vinegar, lime juice, and a light drizzle olive oil
  • Teaspoon or so of habanero sauce
  • Some cilantro (cut off a block of frozen cilantro)
Mix it all together and refrigerate. I served mine with some chopped black olives and a side of cabbage i experimented with. Was attempting to make kale chips with cabbage - it almost worked! I'll keep you posted if i succeed.

Could also be great as a condiment to a meat dish, tacos, or atop a green salad.  Make a big batch and feed a big family on the cheap, or have some stocked in the fridge for easy, healthy snacks. I personally have a hard time keeping my hubby from eating it all in one sitting.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your feedback, especially if you've cooked one of my recipes or tried one of my tips: let me know how it turned out!